Adlestrop is a very pretty unspoilt Cotswold village in the heart of the Cotswolds with beautiful countryside and fine walks. It lies about 4 miles from the well known market town of Stow-on-the-Wold, which together with Moreton-in-Marsh (5 miles) and Chipping Norton (5½ miles) provide a good selection of shops and amenities for everyday needs. There are good train services from Kingham (3 miles) reaching Paddington in about 84 minutes. Adlestrop is known as ‘Tedestrop’ in the Domesday Book.
Aston Magna is an attractive Cotswold village in the parish of Blockley, lying between Moreton-in-Marsh (3 miles) and Chipping Campden (4.5 miles) which both have excellent shops and amenities for everyday needs in Moreton-in-Marsh where there are good train services to London, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes.
Barton-on-the-Heath is a small rural village with the village church dedicated to St. Lawrence, and consisting mainly of period houses and cottages situated around a village green. It is situated just inside the county of Warwickshire close to the borders of Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire and has a Gloucestershire postal address. Robert Dover, organizer of the Cotswold Olimpick Games (Dovers Games) died at Barton-on-the-Heath in July 1652 aged 70. His grandson, the lawyer and playwright, John Dover, was born there in October 1644.
This is an attractive Cotswold village with many period character properties. There is a communally run post office/store, two public houses, www.crownhotelblockley.co.uk and www.hooky-pubs.co.uk/pubs/location_maps/great_western.html, a parish church, primary school and nursery. There are a good selection of shops and amenities for everyday needs in both Chipping Campden and Moreton-in-Marsh, just 3 miles away. Good train services to London from Moreton-in-Marsh, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes
There are 12 mills recorded in Blockley in the Domesday Book and Blockley was one of the first villages in the world to have electric light.
There is also a house now called Widdowe’s close which was formerly a grocery, and it was here that paper bags were invented for shoppers by Elisha Smith Robinson. The paper bags were manufactured by the Robinson firm of Bristol.
This is a popular Cotswold hill village with many mellow, honey coloured Cotswold stone houses and cottages, many having views across rolling Cotswold countryside. It is about 11/2 miles west of the market town of Moreton-in-Marsh. It has a Church and an active village community centred around the old school, which is now used as a village hall. There is also the ‘Horse & Groom’ which is an Award winning public house and restaurant www.horseandgroom.info. Moreton-in-Marsh provides a good range of shops and amenities for everyday needs and other local centres include Oxford (29 miles), Stratford-upon-Avon (17 miles), Cirencester (25 miles) and Cheltenham (22 miles). There are good train services from Moreton-in-Marsh, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes.
Bourton-on-the-Hill was on the main route from London to Worcester, known as the London Way in 1590.
This is a charming Cotswold village, known as ‘The Venice of the Cotswolds’ due to the many bridges which span the shallow River Windrush which runs through the centre of the village. There are many attractions with a good range of shopping facilities, being 4 miles from Stow-on-the-Wold and 8 miles from Kingham, where there are good train services, the fastest reaching Paddington in approximately 84 minutes. Other local towns within easy reach are Cheltenham and Cirencester (16 miles) and Oxford (28 miles).
Bourton-on-the-Water is mentioned in the Domesday Book after the Norman conquest. The church has been rebuilt many times and registers go back to 1654. It is thought that a tunnel runs from the 14th century chancel to the Manor House opposite.
The oldest pub in Bourton-on-the-Water is the Old New Inn which has a sundial marked 1712.
Broadwell is a pretty Cotswold village set in the Evenlode Valley between Stow-on-the-Wold and Moreton-in-Marsh. The village contains many fine period Cotswold stone houses and cottages and some more modern houses and conversions. In the centre of the village is a wide village green, which was donated to the village by Lord Ashton in the late 20th century, with a stream, a tributary of the River Evenlode, and water splash. There is a good village pub, the Fox Inn, and a Norman church. Local centres include Stow-on-the-Wold (2 miles) and Moreton-in-Marsh (4 miles) from which there are Intercity and other train services to London, the fastest reaching Paddington in approx. 92 minutes. Other towns within 30 miles include Cheltenham, Stratford-upon-Avon and Oxford.
Broadwell is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. It had 46 inhabitants, and the church of St. Paul dates in part to that period. During the later Middle Ages the estate belonged to the Benedictine order of monks.
This is a charming hamlet in the Parish of neighbouring Ebrington about 2 miles from Chipping Campden. Other centres within easy reach are Stratford-upon-Avon, Banbury and Warwick. There are main line train services reaching London (Paddington) from Moreton-in-Marsh (approx. 6 miles) within approximately 92 minutes.
Chipping Campden is one of the loveliest small towns in the Cotswolds and a gilded masterpiece of limestone and craftsmanship. The main street curves in a shallow arc lined with a succession of ancient houses each grafted to the next but each with its own distinctive embellishments.
As the name suggests ("Chipping" means market or market place from the old English "Ceping"). Chipping Campden was one of the most important of the medieval wool towns and famous throughout Europe.
Chipping Campden's church, St. James, at the north end of the town, is perhaps, the finest 'wool' church in the Cotswolds, with a magnificent 120ft (36 metre) tower and a very spacious interior. The church is famed for having one of the oldest altar tapestries (pre-reformation) and largest brass in England. The 17th-century Market Hall (picture opposite) was built by the town's benefactor, Sir Baptist Hicks. Chipping Campden also has important links with the Arts and Crafts movement. C.R. Ashbee set up his Guild of Handicrafts here in 1902. His workshop in the old silk mill in Sheep Street is now a small museum.
Today the town has a population of circa 2000 and offers its residents an excellent range of independent shops for everyday shopping needs. There is a health centre, library, bakers, butchers, churches, restaurants, inns and hotels.
Clapton-on-the-Hill is situated on a hill with wonderful views and was the quarters for the officers based at the Roman camp at Bourton-on-the-Water. In the Middle Ages, Clapton was part of the manor of Bourton-on-the-Water, which belonged to Evesham Abbey. The village is predominantly agricultural with stunning views across the Windrush Valley. A late 12th century church, St. James, one of the smallest in the Cotswolds also stands within the village. Other centres within easy reach are Cheltenham (18 miles), Oxford (30 miles), Stratford-on-Avon (26 miles), Bourton-on-the-Water (2 miles).
Before the Second World War, Clapton was famous for its strawberries, grown in the fields around the village, one of which remains today.
This is an attractive hill village in the heart of the Cotswold hills with a number of period and modern stone properties situated to the north-west of the market town of Stow-on-the-Wold (3½ miles) with lovely views over rolling Cotswold countryside. Stow-on-the-Wold has a wide selection of shops for everyday needs and a Tesco supermarket. There are good train services to London Paddington from Moreton-in-Marsh (5 miles) in about 92 minutes.
The village has a rich farming heritage which continues to this day, with sheep, cattle and arable crops covering the hillsides around the village.
Condicote has many public footpaths and lies on the historic Ryknild Street, a Roman Road which runs north from nearby Bourton-on-the-Water for over 80 miles.
Ditchford is a small collection of properties between Moreton-in-Marsh (3 miles) and Shipston-on-Stour (3 miles). The larger centres of Stratford on Avon (13 miles) and Oxford (approx 28 miles) provide additional shopping, leisure facilities and further schooling. Birmingham International Airport is approx. 35 miles. There is a mainline station at Moreton-in-Marsh from which trains reach London in approx. 92 minutes.
Donnington is a hamlet renowned for its views and commanding a lovely position on high ground just 2 miles north of Stow-on-the-Wold. Moreton-in-Marsh (3 miles) and Stow-on-the-Wold offer a good range of amenities for everyday needs. Other local centres include Oxford (29 miles) and Cheltenham (21 miles). There are train services from Moreton-in-Marsh, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes.
Draycott is an attractive North Cotswold hamlet with a mix of period stone cottages and modern houses, lying within easy reach of Blockley (2 miles) which has a shop for day-to-day needs, and Moreton-in-Marsh (3 miles) which has a wider selection of shops and amenities. Other local centres include Broadway (8 miles), Evesham (14 miles) and Stratford-upon-Avon (16 miles). There is a main line railway station at Moreton-in-Marsh with good train services, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes.
Apparently Draycott is not mentioned in the Domesday Book but was in existence by 1182.
Ebringtin stands in an elevated position with views over the surrounding countryside and is situated about 2 miles from Chipping Campden and 4 miles from Shipston-on-Stour, both centres offering a range of shops for everyday needs. There is a parish church, pub and primary school. There is a limited bus service through the village. Trains run from Moreton-in-Marsh (8 miles) from which there are good services to London Paddington in approx. 92 minutes.
Ebrington is known to local people as ‘Yubberton’ and its abundant supplies of spring water encouraged people to settle in the area long before the Roman occupation.
This is an attractive and unspoilt Cotswold village with many fine period properties, set in the renowned Cotswold countryside. It is situated close to Moreton-in-Marsh (3 miles) and Stow-on-the-Wold (3.5 miles) which both offer excellent facilities for everyday needs. Other larger centres within easy reach include Cheltenham (21 miles), Oxford (28 miles) and Stratford-upon-Avon (20 miles). There are good train services from Moreton-in-Marsh to London, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes.
This is a very popular unspoilt Cotswold Village with a shop, Post Office and two good Public Houses. Other centres within easy reach are Winchcombe (5½ miles), Cheltenham (12 miles) and Stow-on-the-Wold (6 miles). There is a mainline station at Moreton-in-Marsh (11 miles) reaching Paddington in approx. 92 minutes.
The Wardens' Way walk passes through the Cotswold villages of Guiting Power, Naunton, Lower Slaughter and Upper Slaughter on its 14-mile route from Bourton-on-the-Water to Winchcombe. It joins the Oxfordshire Way to the Cotswold Way and can be combined with the Windrush Way to make a circular route.
This is a quiet Cotswold village with a fine mix of traditional Cotswold properties and St. Marys ‘the virgin’ Church dating from the thirteenth Century. Stow-on-the-Wold close by offers a wide range of everyday facilities, including Tescos supermarket and lively pubs and restaurants.
Icomb is apparently famous as the area visited frequently by the original "Tom, Dick, and Harry". The three men were 18th century brothers of the Dunsdon family who robbed stagecoaches from a secret hideout in a tunnel below the village. They were eventually caught and hanged or imprisoned.
This is a small hamlet situated about 3 miles east of Moreton-in-Marsh on the A44 with open farmland and rural views to the south. Kitebrook House built in 1820 is now the home of Kitebrook House Preparatory school for boys and girls. There are excellent shops and amenities at Moreton-in-Marsh and Chipping Norton for everyday needs. There are good train services from Moreton-in-Marsh, the fastest reaching London Paddington in about 92 minutes.
This is an attractive village situated equidistant from Moreton-in-Marsh and Chipping Norton (4 miles), both towns having a good selection of shops and amenities for everyday needs. There is a fine parish Church and a popular inn, The Red Lion. There are good train services to London from Moreton-in-Marsh, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes.
This is an attractive Cotswold village lying in a slightly elevated position overlooking the Windrush Valley, in an area designated as being of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Bourton-on-the-Water lies 1½ miles away and offers a good selection of shops and facilities for day to day requirements. Larger towns of Cheltenham and Oxford are within easy reach. There are good train services to London from Kingham (6 miles), the fastest reaching Paddington in about 84 minutes.
The village is associated with RAF Litttle Rissington, the air base which was located just up the road during WWII. Although the air base has now closed, the buildings have now become the village of Upper Rissington.
This is an attractive village situated on a hill slope looking eastwards over the Evenlode Valley. There are many fine period houses and cottages, some commanding beautiful views across the surrounding countryside. There is a parish Church, Village store and Post Office, The Coach and Horses public house, primary school and playgroup. A bus services passes through the village and good train services are available from Moreton-in-Marsh to London, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes.
Longborough Festival Opera is held every year and was started in 1991 as Banks Fee Opera. There is a picnic interval. The Opera has been enjoyed by many over the years and demand has been so great that a barn has now been converted into a theatre, using discarded seats from the Royal Opera House, Convent Garden, during its refurbishment.
Lower and Upper Oddington
The villages of Lower and Upper Oddington lie in the valley of the river Evenlode and is a pretty village in the heart of the Cotswolds, with many fine period houses and cottages, some dating back as far as the 16th century.
There are two churches, one of which, St. Nicholas, dates from the 11th Century, two public houses (The Fox at Lower Oddington and the Horse & Groom at Upper Oddington), a farm shop and a general store and part-time Post Office.
The village is situated approx. 2 miles from Stow-on-the-Wold and about 5 miles from Chipping Norton. These towns provide for most daily needs. The larger centres of Cheltenham, Oxford, Banbury and Stratford-upon-Avon are all within 30 miles. The local Villager bus service provides regular transport to the local towns and main line trains run from Kingham station (4 miles) to Worcester, Oxford and London, with trains reaching Paddington in about 84 minutes.
Historically the village of Lower Slaughter was owned by a Norman Knight, Philipe de Sloitre. The name proved too much for the villagers, who eventually corrupted it to 'Slaughter'.
Lower Slaughter is one of the most beautiful of the Cotswold villages and has many buildings of architectural interest, with the shallow River Eye flowing through the centre of the village. There is a picturesque Water Mill, Shop, Parish Church and two good Hotels, The Slaughters and Lower Slaughter Manor.
More comprehensive shopping facilities are available at Bourton-on-the-Water (2 miles) and Stow-on-the-Wold (4 miles). Main line railway stations run from Moreton-in-Marsh (8 miles), Kingham (10 miles) and Cheltenham (17 miles).
Lower Swell is a small village which lies next to the River Dikler, and has a mixture of mellow stone cottages and modern houses, the oldest dating back to the 17th century. There is a village church dedicated to St. Mary and a pub The Golden Ball.
It lies about 1 mile to the west of the well known market town of Stow-on-the-Wold which provides a wide selection of shops and amenities for everyday needs. A much wider selection of shopping and leisure facilities can be found in the commercial centres of Cirencester, Cheltenham, Oxford, Evesham and Stratford-upon-Avon. Communications are excellent in the area with access to train services to London via Moreton-in-Marsh about 5 miles and Kingham about 6 miles, and access to the motorway network via the M40 at either Banbury or Oxford or the M5 at Tewkesbury.
Maugersbury is an attractive Cotswold village with views across rolling Cotswold countryside lying about ½ mile to the south of the well-known market town of Stow-on-the-Wold, which has a wide selection of shops and amenities for everyday needs. There are train services available to London from Kingham (4 miles) and Moreton-in-Marsh (4 miles), the fastest reaching Paddington in about 82 minutes.
The village was apparently the location of the Stow-on-the-Wold Union Workhouse.
To the tourist, Mickleton is a village on the B4632 southwards from Stratford-upon-Avon towards Broadway and on to Cheltenham. To the gardener, it is at the bottom of the hill from Hidcote and Kiftsgate gardens.
To the politician, Mickleton is (since the 1930s) the northernmost village in Gloucestershire, close to the borders of Warwickshire and Worcestershire: it is about 35 miles from Birmingham, 70 from Bristol, 100 from London or Cardiff.
To the geographer, Mickleton is at the far northern end of the steep scarp which marks the western edge of the Cotswold Hills, from here to Bath: the village is at the foot of the scarp, where the hills fall away into the Vale of Evesham. To the north is Meon Hill (636ft), scene of the notorious ‘witchcraft’ murder of 1945.
To the historian, Mickleton was the scene of Brunel’s infamous ‘Battle of Mickleton Tunnel (1852), considered the last pitched battle to be fought between private armies in England.
The village still has a Post Office, general food store, traditional butcher, garage and farm shops: it has two pubs, The King’s Arm and The Butcher’s Arms. The Three Ways House Hotel is home of the world famous Pudding Club and some private houses also offer bed-and-breakfast. Mickleton has an Anglican church, a Methodist chapel and a good primary school. Regular public transport services include the Hedgehog Community bus, which can also be used to connect with rail services at Stratford and Moreton-in-Marsh.
Honeybourne is the nearest railway station at 3 miles. Mickleton also has clubs and societies offering a wide range of cultural, social, and sporting activities. Mickleton is a good place to live, and to visit.
This is attractive Gloucestershire town situated near the borders of Oxfordshire and Warwickshire with comprehensive facilities including doctors, a new hospital, dentist, banks, restaurants, public houses, range of shops, supermarket and a popular Tuesday market. There is a mainline station offering train services reaching Oxford (40 minutes) and Paddington (92 minutes). Other towns within easy reach are Stratford-upon-Avon (16 miles), Cheltenham (23 miles) and Oxford (27 miles).
The oldest surviving building in the town is the Curfew Tower which dates back to the 16th century and was used as a lock-up. It’s bell was rung for the last time in 1860.
Northwick Park is set in rural surroundings just one and a half miles to the north of the well known Cotswold village of Blockley, where there are two pubs, a fine church, a school and nursery, a village shop/Post Office and delicatessen.
Northwick Park is situated between the Cotswold market towns of Chipping Campden (3 miles) and Moreton in Marsh (4 miles). Both towns have a wide selection of shops and amenities. There are good train services from Moreton in Marsh, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes.
The Mansion House at Northwick Park is a magnificent Grade I Listed building, which was extensively restored in the 1980’s. All of the buildings and former cottages in its grounds have been converted into flats, houses and cottages, and new houses have been built to the North.
The property is approached by a long private drive through parkland, and stands in approx. 30 acres of land, which includes a croquet lawn, four hard tennis courts and an outdoor swimming pool.
The whole of Northwick Park is managed for which a quarterly fee is payable. This includes caring for the grounds and gardens.
Paxford is situated in the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and has a Chapel and popular public house/restaurant, The Churchill Arms www.thechurchillarms.com. Chipping Campden is approx. 3 miles to the west and Moreton-in-Marsh 4 miles, catering for day-to-day requirements. There are good train services from Moreton-in-Marsh reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes. Other centres within easy reach include Stratford-upon-Avon (14 miles), Cirencester (27 miles), Cheltenham (30 miles) and Oxford (32 miles).
The Paxford Point-to-Point is held on a yearly basis and has been running since the course opened in 1997 and provides an excellent day out on Easter Monday each year.
Snowshill village sits on the top of the escarpment above the villages of Broadway, Buckland, and Laverton. It is a secluded village where ancient pretty cottages and a 19th century church cluster around a small green. As its name implies - if there is any snow about then you will find it here first.
Snowshill is renowned for its manor house, now administered by the National Trust. It is interesting architecturally as a typical 15th to 16th Century manor house, with a good dovecote. The beautiful gardens are terraced and were designed by Charles Wade. On the site is a teashop and restaurant.
In Snowshill you will find ancient charm and peaceful ambling with refreshments to be had at the Snowshill Arms pub.
The beautiful Cotswold village of Stanton is totally unspoilt and has many pretty honey-coloured Cotswold stone houses and cottages. Stanton boasts a Church, Stanton Guild House (which runs courses from creative writing, to wood turning), and the Mount Pub on the path up Shenberrow Hill, which serves food and the local Donnington's Cotswold Ales, and has wonderful views of the Vale of Evesham and the Malvern Hills.
Stow-on-the-Wold is set in the Cotswold Hills and stands beside the Roman Fosse Way where a settlement has existed since the Iron Age. It is a popular North Cotswold Market Town with a mixture of old and new houses, many of the older houses being built in the distinctive mellow Cotswold stone some dating back to the 16th century.
There is a good selection of shops and amenities, including a Tescos supermarket and various pubs and restaurants and there are local bus services and train services from both Kingham and Moreton (4 miles).
Stow-on-the-Wold is the highest town in the Cotswolds at over 800 ft.
Stretton-on-Fosse is a north Cotswold hill village, situated just off the Fosse Way approximately 4 miles from Moreton-in-Marsh and 2½ miles from Shipston-on-Stour, where there are a wider range of facilities for day-to-day needs. There is a fine village church and local inn, The Plough Inn. A new village hall was built in 1990. Other towns within easy reach include Stratford-upon-Avon (12 miles), Leamington Spa (20 miles) and Banbury (16 miles).
During commercial extraction of sand important graves of the Roman-British and Anglo-Saxon periods were uncovered and skeletons and personal belongings were unearthed.
Temple Guiting is situated on the River Windrush in beautiful surrounding countryside, and has a church and a village school.
Todenham is approx. 3 miles north-east of the market town of Moreton-in-Marsh which has a range of shops and amenities for everyday needs. There is a parish church and public house. Other local centres within easy reach include Shipston-on-Stour, Stratford-upon-Avon, Oxford and Cheltenham. There are good train services from Moreton-in-Marsh, the fastest reaching Paddington in about 92 minutes.
Upper Rissington village is situated next to the site of RAF Little Rissington and much of its housing was built as officer’s quarters. All the properties have been refurbished and some new properties have been constructed. There are various community facilities provided, including a village shop, community hall, village green and children’s play area.
Great Rissington is approx. 1 mile away where there is a parish church, pub and a primary school, whilst Bourton-on-the-Water (2.5 miles) and Stow-on-the-Wold (4 miles) are nearby. Oxford, Stratford-upon-Avon and Cheltenham are all within 30 miles and main line services run from Kingham station (5 miles) with good services to London/Paddington in approx. 84 minutes.
Upper Slaughter is a highly sought after Cotswold village and is situated on the banks of the River Eye. The village has a church, the Lords of the Manor Hotel, which is one of the finest buildings in the area, and is conveniently located near to Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water, where a range of shopping facilities can be found. Cheltenham (16 miles) provides further extensive shopping, leisure and educational facilities. There is a regular rail service from Kingham station (10 miles) to London Paddington in 80 minutes.
Upper Swell is a small picturesque village which overlooks the valley through which the shallow River Dikler runs. This is crossed by a small 18th century bridge above which is a weir retaining an extensive mill pool for the 19th century mill. The village surrounds the manor house and church. There are an unusually high number of prehistoric barrows in the area.
The Heart of England Way 100 mile footpath passes through the village.
Willersey, with its pretty village pond and historic church, has two pubs the New Inn and the Bell Inn, which serve food, a village shop which stocks every day conveniences with a small tea room. The village has an excellent community feel with the village hall at its heart. Many clubs are held here from yoga to snooker with a full sized snooker table. There is a recreational field with a play area for children. Willersey is less than two miles from the village of Broadway with its galleries, restaurants, and golf course.
One of three Rissington villages, Wyck Rissington lies 2 miles south of Stow-on-the-Wold east of the River Dikler and Windrush valley. Wyck Rissington is an unspoilt village with a wide green. There is also a Victorian drinking fountain. There are many attractive houses and cottages some dating from the 17th and 18th Centuries.
Apparently the famous composer, Gustav Holst, was organist at the church of St. Lawrence in 1892 at the young age of 17.